Islam is Based on Iman (Loyal Faith) and ‘Amaal (Righteous Actions)
“Except for those who have believed and enacted righteousness deeds and exhort each other to truth and exhort each other to patience.”
Enacting Righteousness Includes Removing Harm
“Faith has over seventy branches or over sixty branches, the most excellent of which is the declaration that there is no god but Allah, and the humblest of which is the, removal of what is injurious from the path: and modesty is the branch of faith.”
Removing everything harmful is one of the 5 basic Principles of Islam.
“Harm must be removed.”
Correcting Impropriety is a Basic, Required Principle
“It is obligatory to make masalaha (correction) of whatever is mafsada (broken, improper, imbalanced)
It becomes obligatory to enact maslaha in all matters that threaten the daruriyyaat and hajiyyaat of the people. These are the indispensable and required matters in life.
The Five Primary Objectives of Islam
Islamic Law has Five Primary Objectives. They are the protection and preservation of:
- Intellectual and Emotional well-being
- Children and Family
- Material Resources
The Continuation and Well-being of Humanity is Severely Threatened
And so the primary agenda of the Islam Forward project is to build awareness, intelligence, and a collective response to significant matters, including the following:
- Transitioning away from the rapacious and destructive economy of egocentric capitalism, toward a system that ensures responsibility toward humans, the ecosystem, and our limited resources
- Pushing forward to address the global climate emergency. We have less than 5 years to enact systems independent of fossil-fuels. Basically, we must completely retool our economic/production systems, transportation, and energy.
- Ending the constant wars of capitalism which will continue targeting Muslim lands
- Ending starvation. Currently, 30,000 humans die daily of starvation.
- Moving forward with more democratic, equitable systems of governance/public administration. The US has become a failed republic. It no longer maintains the basic requirements of equitable society.
- Education: it has been known for over 100 years that US education is very poor quality. Today, it is much worse, as corporations take-over the public schools. This project is a People’s Education concept, in which local residents provide their own educational resources, as we try to restore public education.
- Developing political IQ. This is extremely important in large-scale, high-stakes societies like the world has become. People need minimal understanding of economics, democracy, and the human sciences in order to be functional citizens.
- News and Communications: the Muslim community in DFW has roughly 300,000 members, yet we have no mass communication system.
- A Public-policy think-tank. The ability to conduct research, formulate policy, and engage socially and politically as intelligent, moral Muslims.
- To address/resolve racism, xenophobia, and the institutions causing division and animosity between human beings
- Promoting proper support, establishment, well-being, and advancement for Islam’s Converts. This is the very highest priority in Islam, yet the DFW Muslim community has never begun to appropriately address the needs of Converts.
- ACTIVISM – Islam is based on responsible actions, guided by moral principles, to effect positive changes in society.