“And whoever saves [a life] – it is as if he had saved mankind entirely.” – The Qur’an
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Iman has over seventy branches – or over sixty branches – the uppermost of which is the declaration: ‘None has the right to be worshiped but Allah’; and the least of which is the removal of harm from the path, and modesty is a branch of Iman.”
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “The religion is naseehah (sincerity).“We said, “To whom?“ He (peace be upon him) said, “To Allah, His Book, His Messenger, and to the leaders of the Muslims and their common folk.“
Imam an-Nawawi explained: “Giving nasihah involves guiding them towards that which will correct their affairs in both this life and the next. It involves protecting them from harm, helping them in times of need, providing what is beneficial for them, encouraging them to do good and forbidding them from evil with kindness and sincerity, and showing mercy towards them.”
“Saving Civilization is Not a Spectator Sport” – Lester Brown
“Impropriety and disorder has appeared throughout the land and sea by [reason of] what the hands of people have earned, so He may let them taste part of [the consequence of] what they have done, that perhaps they will return [to righteousness].” – The Qur’an
It is reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“By Him in whose control is my life! You should continue to enjoin the right and forbid the wrong, else Allah will descend such a punishment upon you, that you will supplicate unto Him and He will not accept your supplications.”
The Current State:
“while researched facts indicate the soon-to-be collapses of both the global economy and the global ecosystem, soon meaning “we are in the process of annihilating ourselves over the next few years”, policy-makers are certain to continue the same practices that have led us to this point. There is nothing to indicate any moral response to the situation: basically, there is no hope for humanity without immediate, radical changes.”
In Summary, Islam
- Prescribes the saving of human life and, of course, human civilization
- Prescribes the removal of harm from human life
- Prescribes the correction of human affairs in this life and the next
- Prohibits disorder, and prescribes the rectification of society
- Prescribes the commanding of rectification and the efforts to stop disorder
- Prohibits the establishment of corruption or ineptitude in positions of authority, in institutions, and in normal practices. All such matters must be rectified.
In matters of societal rectification and maintenance, it is typically considered a Communal Obligation (Fard al-Kifayah). Meaning, such efforts are Obligatory on every member of the community until matters are resolved. If a portion of the community fulfills the requirement, only then is the community absolved of its duty.
Fulfilling such obligations require:
- Every community member acknowledging the responsibility upon themselves
- Every community member ensuring that the proper people, effort, and money are committed until the matters are resolved
- Community leaders accept responsibility to promote and support such efforts.
- Allah’s Verse in regard to this type of Jihad: “That you Believe in Allah and in His Messenger, and that you strive your utmost in the Way of Allah with your persons and your wealth.”
- Allah’s Reward for this Jihad: “He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence.”